Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A little bird told me...

Last year I got acquainted with TWITTER. I was determined to find an online tool or a software that would help me have an easier way to have a journal, since it is really important for me to keep one, yet I find it very difficult to hand write. I found three great sources of exactly the things I was looking for.

The first one is COZI.com. This is an amazing site that I'm sure will bring many more attractions in the future. It's really cool. It let's you jolt family moments, pictures, grocery lists and a planner with different colors for each person in your house. It can be downloaded and it syncs with the online planner automatically, so you always have the same information in your computer and online (as long as you are connected to the internet, of course). It recently added a feature that allows your Microsoft Outlook calendar to be synchronized with the one in Cozy, which I'm sure is really useful for Outlook lovers. Besides, it lets you send messages to your family cell phones!!! Cool! No cost to send the message! This is really a find, a treasure... I love my Cozi.


Then, I found a software for a personal journal, which is fantastic: AdvancedDiary. This one really put the finger on my dream of having a journal like the one Doogie Howser had in his computer at the end of every show. This is the software that allows that. Only in a windows like appearance, which is an improvement from the DOS-like screen Dr. Howser had. I should add that this was an easy download for a trial period, and then a fast and inexpensive one-time rate to obtain the license. The company has a beautiful customer service. Actually, the best I have had EVER. Quiet, respectful and efficient. Really, really a dream... Still, I need to find the will to fill it with my memoirs. But that's not the software's fault... it's mine!

And then, I found Twitter. I loved it, because I love to text. If I had a phone and couldn't make calls, but could text, I still would feel happy. One of my wishes is to have one of those phones that have one key to each letter; but I don't care for all the internet downloading, music and whatnot that these phones include... specially because of the extra fees it means to have them. So... I guess I will have to wait until they have text-and-call-phones-only, or until the economy has changed so much that I will be able to afford it without feeling guilty.

Anyway, I fell in love with Twitter. At the beginning I thought it would be a great way to let someone other than me listen to my witty thoughts and news. I also got very happy with twits from my knitting guru, or other funny people. But then I got tired of very vain and stupid comments, so I turned them off, although I still follow them. So I was faced with the question: who do I follow?

I have been trying to get family and friends to use TWITTER, so that I have someone to follow; I found that it would be great to receive messages from my family abroad, about what they are doing, or if something bad happens and they cannot afford an international long distance call at the moment... but until now, my husband is the only one that uses it, and to tell the truth, we can send messages directly to one another.

But today, watching a documentary about how the world is going to end to exist as we know it on Dec. 21st, 2012, I had an epiphany: for sure the Red Cross, and the news channels have Twitter. so I started to follow abc7news, the Red Cross for the Silicon Valley chapter, AND a motivational quote service... just to be able to deal with the news I might be receiving in these supposedly apocalyptic times. I was going to follow Al Gore, but I found his tweets make me worry, and I don't need to add to my paranoia with phone texts about how we are destroying our planet and ourselves. I know that, and it scares me, so I'm sorry Al Gore... I can only deal with so much depression at a time. I will just keep trying to do my part.

ANYWAY, after all this ranting, what I just wanted to say is that I think I found a good way to use Twitter, and now I don't feel like this good piece of technology is totally useless. It can really be put to good use. AND I'm going to add my son's phone to it, just for emergencies.

Why my family in Mexico won't use it? It's such a mystery to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment